The official home of HORSHAM YOUTH FOOTBALL CLUB on the web
 HORSHAM FOOTBALL CLUB is affiliated to The Ryman Football League, Arun & Chichester League, Sussex Sunday Youth League



Charlie Belton


Finn Bigg


Alfie Carter


Liam Clarke


Hugo Cowan


Ali Kerr


Louis Lewis


Jack Reeves


Lewis Reeves


Tom Summerfield


Kieran Wootton



Nick Bristow


Dan Cusdin


HORSHAM: Clarke, OG, Kerr


About U14s U15s U16s U18s Contact us


 Saint Hill Blues 2 HORSHAM 3

Sunday 2nd October 2011

Sussex County Cup 1st Round

Well here we are, the 2nd October, fleeces on, bring a rain jacket you never know…Not quite!! Hot sun, 25 degrees, rock hard dusty ground. Quick, rescue your shorts and tee shirts from the loft!

Horsham lined up in a 4-3-3 formation and earned an early corner in the 3rd minute, taken by Finn Bigg and put right into the six yard box which was cleared only as far as Jack Reeves on the edge of the penalty area but his volley was just over the bar. Horsham continued to pressurise the Blues' defence down the right flank through Bigg but their 'keeper was looking strong.

Tom Summerfield was working well at left back and was taken down for a free-kick just on the edge of the box after having gone around three players. Charlie Belton floated in the kick but their 'keeper took the catch from a defensive header. However, his throw out was quickly intercepted by Bigg who drilled the ball low across goal to Belton who shot first time and this was gratefully smothered by their goalkeeper. The Blues came back with a corner soon after but this was cleared by the unflappable Louis Lewis in defence who was frustrating the opposition strikers by mopping up everything.

Fifteen minutes gone and Liam Clarke came desperately close with a curled right foot effort just wide of the top corner after great work from Ali Kerr, bursting through the midfield. Bigg followed this with a lob over the 'keeper but agonisingly wide after getting between the Blues' central defenders. Horsham took the lead on 23 minutes after a nicely weighted through ball from Summerfield found Clarke who let it bounce once then rifled it home under pressure from a defender. A well taken goal but only what Horsham deserved.

Three minutes later it was 2-0 with Bigg managing to shake off The Blues' left back down the right wing and his low ball across the goal face could only be poked into his own net by the defender. Kerr and Hugo Cowan were combining well in the midfield and a speculative effort from Cowan was actually left by their 'keeper to rattle the post with the rebound reaching Kerr who volleyed it back, only to have the ball scrambled off the line by a defender.

H/T Saint Hill Blues 0 Horsham 2

Horsham brought on Nick Bristow up front for Belton to keep the same formation and the opposition changed theirs to match for the second half. Their early pressure was handled by Horsham's defence but it was clear that Horsham would have less time on the ball in the midfield this half. The heat was taking its toll and Horsham were encouraged to continue to work and push on. Kieran Wootton in Horsham’s goal started to feature in the game a little more and The Blues were gaining momentum.

However, Horsham's defence stayed alert and Summerfield made several interceptions. One resulting through ball was unfortunately just too long for Clarke to latch onto and their 'keeper was out quickly. Some good last ditch defending prevented Bristow shooting from inside the box, having been put in by Cowan. Bigg continued to harass their left back and combined well with Kerr and Alfie Carter, the ball finally reaching Jack Reeves after a patient build up but his looping effort hit the cros bar and Bristow followed up only to fire over from close range.

Clarke continued to show good strength and will power, coming deep to receive the ball then losing it only to recover it back to find Bristow who crossed but just too deep for Bigg. Dan Cusdin came on shortly after for Bigg and Horsham reverted to 4-4-2. Clarke got the assist for Horsham's third, having fended off several challenges to cross to Kerr who had time to pick his spot. This 3-0 lead was short lived, however, after a slight defensive mix up allowed the opposition to pull one back.

The Blues were spurred on and it took another Summerfield interception with two strikers bearing down on him to keep them out. However, the pressure continued and a dubious penalty was awarded for a 'push' and this was put away to leave a tense final 15 minutes with Horsham needing to hold strong to avoid extra time. Bristow and Clarke battled on up front and Bristow had a good effort pushed around the post for a Horsham corner on 59 minutes.

Horsham then made it 4-2, or so we thought, on 62 minutes after Kerr made one of his characteristic runs, beating three players to put in Bristow whose shot was parried back for Clarke to side foot in but he was ruled offside, much to everyone's surprise. Horsham continued to push after this set-back and ran out deserved winners to go through to the second round with this solid victory over strong opposition. Well played lads in the scorching October sun.

Horsham Football Club, Goring's Mead, Brighton Road, Horsham, West Sussex RH13 5BP
Telephone: 01403 266888 |