The official home of HORSHAM YOUTH FOOTBALL CLUB on the web
 HORSHAM FOOTBALL CLUB is affiliated to The Ryman Football League, Arun & Chichester League, Sussex Sunday Youth League



Charlie Belton

Finn Bigg


Alfie Carter


Liam Clarke


Dan Cusdin


Ali Kerr


Louis Lewis


Jack Reeves


Lewis Reeves


Tom Summerfield


Kieran Wootton




Hugo Cowan


Nick Bristow


George Matthews


HORSHAM:Bigg (2),Belton,Clarke

HAWKS YOUTH: unknown


About U14s U15s U16s U18s Contact us


HORSHAM 4 Hawks Youth 1

Sunday 11th September 2011

Sussex Sunday Youth League

Horsham's U14s began their introduction to the Sussex Sunday League today with a 4-1 home win against newly promoted Hawks Youth.

From the kick-off, the lads passed the ball around the defence until they found an opening down the right wing through Finn Bigg to exert some early pressure. His cross was cleared but only as far as Alfie Carter who picked it up just outside the box and gave the Hawks ‘keeper his first save of the match in the second minute. Hawks bounced back with a move down Horsham’s left and a volleyed shot was scrambled and then caught by Horsham ‘keeper Kieran Wootton. Horsham’s response to this early scare was decisive with a goal one minute later, from Bigg, after Carter had intercepted and Jack Reeves’ through ball split the Hawks defence leaving Bigg to run in and finish cleanly across the goal.

The young Hornets continued to pressure, mainly down their right flank, but it was Hawks who scored next on nine minutes after a good run down Horsham’s left and their cross was bundled in for the equaliser.

Horsham knew they were in a match which was always going to be closely contested and stuck to their game of quick passing and moving and this produced the result they wanted on thirteen minutes. Bigg picked up a loose ball and cut it back to Charlie Belton on the edge of the area and his right footed strike clattered the crossbar and rebounded straight back to him but he made no mistake with his second attempt. Bigg made it 3-1 after seventeen minutes to give Horsham a little breathing space, which was handy because ‘keeper Wootton had to go off injured shortly after.

Jack Reeves put on the gloves and play resumed with Hugo Cowan coming on to take Reeves' place in midfield. Liam Clarke, making his Horsham debut, came close six minutes later with a low left foot strike from outside the area but it was smothered by the Hawks goalkeeper. Cowan tried his luck next with a fine long range effort which again was palmed clear. Horsham earned a free-kick in a central position on the edge of the area, after a snaking run from Louis Lewis through the midfield led to him being upended. Belton lined himself up for the kick and curled it high towards the corner of the goal producing a fine save from the Hawks 'keeper.

Hawks battled on and continued to look dangerous on the break, earning themselves a corner but the ball was cleared by George Matthews. Horsham’s fourth started with a throw in from within their own half. This was nodded on by Cowan to Bigg and his through ball found Clarke who was encouraged to take on the defender, which he duly did and finished neatly across the goal, low into the corner.

H/T Horsham 4 Hawks Youth 1

The second half was a closely fought affair and Hawks never backed off throughout the game. Horsham earned an early corner which was put in deep across goal by Bigg and reached Dan Cusdin but his header was off target. Hawks replied, coming close on forty three minutes, narrowly putting wide across the face of goal from the left flank but Horsham escaped. Some nice moves through midfield created several chances for Horsham. Clarke showed his strength by warding off two challenges and finding a pass to Ali Kerr but his through ball asked too much of Bigg and the ball went through for a goal kick.

Horsham’s next goal attempt came from Clarke, with a low right footed strike, but this was again saved. Both teams continued to press for the next goal, with strong challenges and competitive end-to-end play. Horsham played well in this half with some nice passing moves from defence through the midfield. Jack Reeves remained alert in goal to the long ball over the top, coming out quickly several times to clear and Horsham held strong to see out the game 4-1.

Horsham Football Club, Goring's Mead, Brighton Road, Horsham, West Sussex RH13 5BP
Telephone: 01403 266888 |